Monday, December 30, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap

 In my house money is tight, just like many other homes.  So we do anything we can to save money here or there.  As I was scrolling through Pinterest I saw a recipe for homemade laundry soap.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a try so when we went grocery shopping we got the ingredients and came home to try it.

Items needed:

  • Borax: 3 tablespoons
  • Washing Soda: 3 tablespoons
  • Dish soap: 2 tablespoons
  • hot water: 6 cups
  • old laundry detergent bottles (mine were 150 oz)
Step one:
     Start by getting all your items together.
Step two:
     By using a funnel it makes the whole process a lot quicker.  Start by putting your borax, washing soda, and dish soap in the laundry detergent bottle.  Then once you have your hot water (we just boiled it, but it doesn't have to be that hot) put the six cups into the bottle.  Give it a gentle shake, enough to dissolve the powder.  

Step three:
     Just keep going!  I started mixing batch after batch in a second bottle and added it to the first one.  Within 25 minutes I had almost two entire 150 oz bottles full. 

The Breakdown:
Box of Borax: $3.48
Box of Washing Soda: $3.69
Dish Soap: $1.97
*For the two bottles I filled I only used about a fourth of the ingredients*

Store bought laundry detergent 150 oz: $10-$13
Mischa even likes getting in on the action of crafting on warm sunny days!

Let me know what you think of the recipe!  It smells really good too!
Love, Bekkah <3

No comments:

Post a Comment